Friday, April 24, 2009

Spring is here!

I have neglected the computer because I have been playing in the dirt. I would be outside today if I weren't sick with some kind of sinus issues and viral infection and feeling utterly miserable. It is almost 80 degrees and simply beautiful outside. The sun is shining, there is a wonderful breeze and the magnolias are in bloom, which is one of my favorite times of year. I always get so bummed that the blooms only last a couple of days. I am sitting in my den with the windows open as I write just so I can smell and see the magnolia in our front yard. There is something about their beauty; the shapes of the petals; the cream and pink; the faint smell...




And then they are gone.



These days I have been consumed by getting ready for the my new season in the garden. I have planted 3 types of potatoes, 9 rows of snap peas, broccoli, cabbage, 3 types of kale, over 150 onions, 10 rows of spinach, 4 rows of arugula, 5 rows of mixed beets, 4 rows of mixed carrots, 6 rows of lettuces, Persian cress, dill, cilantro and parsley.



Here are about half of my 60 tomato plants that were started about 3 weeks ago. They are all over my house eating up the heat and sun. And...I am loving every minute of watching them grow! I have a tray in every window on the main floor of our house and when it is cool in the morning and the steam heat radiators kick on, I put the plants on top of the radiators to get a kick of heat. This is how I manage to plant so many tomatoes on the cheap. I won't plant 60 tomato plants, but I have room in my garden plan for 35-38 in this year. I think I have some to spare if anyone in Metro Detroit might need a tomato plant!


















I also decided that it was time for this MASSIVE rose bush to go...adios




SO this is what that area looks like now...



And in another week I will have new pictures of this area that now will host 3 more 5'by5' beds for veggies, my little fig tree and a bench so I can actually have a place to relax in the garden. For some reason a lot of neighbors have been stopping by lately to check out the castle house that has the "urban farm" and I am loving it! Happy Spring!!

No comments: