Wednesday, January 21, 2009

So much to say and not enough time

So much has happened since the beginning of the year. I vowed I would take some time away from the computer and television, which was not as easy as I thought it would be. There were so many times I just wanted to sit down and write and so I did; in my journal...I forgot I even had one until two weeks ago!

A lot of renewing of spirit, faith in this world and faith in myself. It is so easy to go through each day in a blur trying to keep up with an impossible pace we have set for ourselves here in the states. In my own world I go through the motions of being a mom, doing what has to get done. I find that at times it becomes a routine that is dull, drab and emotionless. I get the kids up, I feed them, bathe them, clothe them and scoot one off to school and then start the mundane tasks of dishes, laundry, floors, bathrooms, cooking and the list goes on and on. I loose sight. I forget what is important. I forget why I CHOSE to do this.

So this month I have spent my time trying to let go of this fast-paced, always moving and always thinking way of life and instead take the time to connect with those around me, particularly my children. Forcing myself to not worry about everything that I think needs to be done, but actually do what NEEDS to be done, which is smothering my children with love and reconnecting with those feelings of love, tenderness and awe that I have for them that sometimes get shoved to the side. I have let myself be in love this month. In love with my children, with my partner and husband, with my family, with my true friends and with my life.

It has been an eventful time in my life, January 2009. First of all, there is a new baby in the family, and I am happy to report that is is not mine, but my sister's! My little sis is now a mommy to a healthy little boy who was born in the beginning of January. I am amazed at all of the birthdays that are in January; all of the springtime luvin' I guess. My new nephew is now the tenth January birthday to celebrate in our home. So welcome to the world and the family little man...and sis, welcome to the club!

I am so proud of my sister who made it through almost 24 hours of labor (mostly back labor) to give birth naturally (by that I mean NO DRUGS) to a little boy.The day she went into labor I happened to be engrossed in the documentary The Business of Being Born , which I watched almost 3 full times in a row and can I just say....what an amazing documentary. A must for anyone who is thinking of having a baby, about to have a baby, even throwing the idea around about kids in their future.

I will write about that documentary soon, along with so many other things that have peaked my interest this month such as the state of Detroit, the inauguration, sewing, easy artisan bread baking, making homemade yogurt, womyn-centered activities, seed catalogs, feminist books about loving your body and your vagina and the anticipation of spring. All of the things that I focused on during my detox and throughout this last month's break from the computer and television. All of these things I have found pleasure in and have helped me reconnect with myself and with those around me.

So...stay tuned I am revitalized and ready to share so much of what keeps me going day after day!

No comments: