Wednesday, August 26, 2009

There is a chill in the air

By the chill in the air right now you would guess it to be late September or maybe even early October, but it is August. That is right it is the end of August, cloudy, rainy and 63 degrees. We have had a our fair share of cool weather this month. I can't say that I am sad about that.This typical fall weather always puts me at ease; helps me move a little slower and also helps me to regain focus. But even though I love sitting here on my couch with the cool air pouring through my house and the smell of chai simmering on my stove and being bundled up in sweat pants and wool socks, I can't help but feel a little cheated out of summer this year. The weather has been perfect by my standards (mostly in the mid-70s to mid-80s) my garden's full potential has been lost. It is in all of it's beauty and still offers our family so much, but I still can't help but to think that so many large and glorious heirloom tomatoes may never nourish my body and soul. And my new budding figs...oh how I have fussed over them this summer and hope to have the experience of picking and savoring a ripe fig from my very own tree. But there is a chill in the air and my body tells me to rest, to forget about tending to the garden's needs right now and instead tend to my own.





No comments: