Wednesday, May 4, 2011

When Life Hands you Lemons...

Make Lemon Creme Sauce for Pasta! Okay so if you are like me, there are certain staples that you always keep in your fridge and pantry such as pasta, egg noodles, canned tomatoes, veggie stock, lemons, coconut milk, canned beans, etc. (you get the picture). Well, this last week I had one of those days where my fridge was almost bare and the pantry was getting low and I wanted to make something simple and yummy. I decided to pull out my Simple Suppers cookbook by Moosewood Restaurant and see if there was anything I could make since this cookbook has easy meals with small ingredient lists. And one of the first meals that caught my eye was a recipe for "creamy lemon pasta." I scanned the ingredient list and knew right away everything it required was staples that I always keep around. I also knew that one of the only veggies in the fridge was fresh MI asparagus and so I decided that I would pull that out and blanch it and then add to the pasta and sauce. OH YUM, YUM!!! This dish was amazing! It was easy, fast and the kids devoured it. SO...I thought I would share the recipe with you all, enjoy!!
CREAMY LEMON PASTA:
1 lemon
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup of heavy cream or half and half
1 pound of pasta
1 cup of grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
Bring a large covered pot of salted water to boil. When water comes to a boil cook your pasta to your liking.
Meanwhile grate the lemon peel (you will need about 2-3 tsp). and then squeeze the lemon (you will need 3 Tbsp. of juice). In a small skillet or saucepan melt the butter. Stir in the cream and heat gently. Stir in the lemon juice and zest. Turn off the heat.
Place the drained pasta in a large serving bowl or on a serving platter and add the lemon cream sauce and toss. Toss in the Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
*I also tossed in the asparagus with some fresh chives out of the garden and next time I make this I plan to do the same with fresh green peas from the garden.

No comments: