Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday Menus

Lately I have been trying to set weekly menus and I haven't had a lot of success with it. As a result my grocery bills haven't been the best and so I need to make this a priority. So I decided that I would start posting my weekly menu on the blog to help keep me on track. So every Monday I will do a post titled "Monday Menus" and occasionally I will add recipes for some of our favorite delicious and fast vegetarian meals.


MONDAY: Indian-curry Sweet Potato Soup (recipe below), Arugula w/fruits, nuts & goat cheese and fresh bread

TUESDAY: Veggie Taco Bar Night

WEDNESDAY: Whole Wheat Pasta w/ Green Sauce, Roasted Beets, Carrots& Red Onions in Fennel Pollen & fresh bread

THURSDAY: Left-over soup & pasta

FRIDAY: Carry-out Arabic food

SATURDAY: Veggie Minestrone, Salad & Fresh Bread

SUNDAY: leftover soup, Salad & Fresh Bread

Indian Curry Sweet Potato Soup:

* Ready in 25-30 minutes

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small yellow onion chopped
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp. Madras Curry Powder
2 1/2-3 cups of veggie broth
1 can of light coconut milk
3 cups of shredded spinach or kale

In large pot heat oil & then saute onions, potatoes, and garlic until onion is just tender. Add spices and stir continuously for another minute. Add 2 cups of the broth & bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer covered for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.

Add coconut milk & stir to mix well. Pour into a food processor or use emulsion blender to blend until smooth. Add the additional broth until you get it the consistency that you want it. Then add the spinach/kale & cook until the greens are wilted. Season with salt & pepper, serve hot.

* The original recipe is a little different. It also called for a can of chickpeas to add in with the spinach & I did so and my whole family thought the texture combination was horrible so I ended up straining out the chickpeas and making them into a dip for crackers.

No comments: