Friday, August 20, 2010

Garlic Scape Pesto

I LOVE garlic scape pesto and I usually have it made by this time of the year, but pine nuts have been difficult to find and I have been lazy. So today I spent the day in the kitchen and the pesto was 1st thing on the list to get accomplished.

Garlic Scapes:


Washed & chopped & ready to go:



Ready to throw it all in the processor:



The Finished Product:

If you love garlic and would like to make your own garlic scape pesto here is how I make it. You can substitute the pine nuts for walnuts or pecans if you prefer.

Garlic Scape Pesto:

8-9 scapes

1 C. of Parmesan

1/2- 3/4 C. of toasted pine nuts

1/2 C. chopped parsley leaves (no stems, too course)

Salt to taste

Put the scapes in the processor and chop then add the parsley and process it a little more. Then add in the nuts and process it until the nuts are chopped. Then add in the cheese and process it some more until it is all blended well, but still has texture. Turn the processor on and slowly add in the oil while it is running. At this point I always taste test it and continue adding nuts, cheese or salt until I get the consistency & flavor that I want. Now enjoy on sauteed veggies, fresh bread or pasta!

1 comment:

Curlicue a.k.a. Kathy, KD, Kate and my favorite, Miss Kat said...

I have to admit I've never heard of Garlic scape. I'll have to look it up. I'm a huge pesto lover so thanks for the new recipe.